What is Website Maintenance?
As you can tell with its name, website maintenance is a continuous process of maintaining site performance at its most optimal level. This includes updating the site’s designs, fixing bugs and other crashes, optimizing the site’s speeds, and other important fixes.
A website is not a matter of just developing, designing, and deploying it on a server. Post-development maintenance and updates are an essential practice that ensures continuous traffic growth and security. Also, regular maintenance plays a vital role in improving Google rankings and strengthening the website’s SEO.
Having a well-maintained and up-to-date website is a major need for both bigger and smaller companies considering the market competition. Websites with no maintenance face bugs that are most likely to drive away their users. On the other hand, a website’s overall health is just like your health; if you don’t regularly check, it becomes prone to potential damages like cyber-attacks and malware.
Note that hundreds of websites are being taken down by Google every day because of malware. Therefore, keeping your website well-maintained is crucial for running your operations smoothly.
Tasks to Include in Website Maintenance Services
One of the biggest threats to websites that are not maintained well is security. Malware on a website can cause irreparable damage, and worst of all, such websites can be taken down. It is also not just your website that is in danger; a malware-affected website is also a potential danger for people visiting it.
Here is a brief list of tasks that you should include in your website maintenance services for a weekly, monthly, quarterly, or yearly cycle.
1. Tasks To Be Done Weekly
- Check if all the pages of your website load smoothly without any errors. Resolve issues if there are any.
- Backup your website data to ensure that you have your previous version of the website stored in case of any significant issues.
- Update your website core and software. Also, make updates to the plugins to avail of the latest features and security protocols available.
- Delete spam comments from your website’s pages and blogs. You can use spam tools for that purpose.
- Check if all the forms on your websites are running correctly without any issues, especially after the updating forms.
- Check out if there are any broken links on your website’s pages. If there are any, either remove them or redirect their traffic on live pages.
- Search your website pages for 404 errors. Fix these errors or redirect them.
- Update your existing content or write blog posts to improve your website’s traffic and engage with your audience.
2. Tasks To Do Monthly
- Check the loading speed of your website pages. Look for the things that are slowing it down.
- Your website can generate tons of cached data. Removing this data can significantly improve your website’s overall speed.
- Run a security scan on your website to find out any possible security threats. If you find something unusual, take immediate action towards it.
- Analyze the previous month’s statistics on the website.
- The more content you publish on your website, the better it is for driving traffic. Therefore, check if there are any blog posts that you can update.
3. Tasks To Do Quarterly
- Review the structure and design of your website carefully to see if there is something you can improve.
- If the website design and structure require too much work, consider getting your website revamped.
- Test all forms, CTAs (Call to Action), and popups on your website. It is crucial to check if these customer end elements are responsive and do not crash when interacting.
- Check if you can update any graphics and images on your website.
- Try to optimize images and videos on your website to improve the loading speeds.
- Test out your website on all kinds of devices and popular browsers to see if everything displays correctly as planned.
- Improve your SEO and check if the Meta titles and descriptions are still as effective. If not, then update them.
- Have a look at your advertising and marketing campaigns. Carry out necessary improvements and updates.
- Thoroughly review your workload. This helps you find out if there are some processes that you can automate.
- Check out your backup health by restoring the previous version of your website.
4. Tasks To Do Yearly
- Update all the references on your website pages to the current year.
- Review each page of your website to see any content with grammatical issues, irrelevancy, or typos. If there are any problems, resolve them.
- Make sure that the domain name of your website has been renewed.
- If there are any website designing updates due, consider getting them done.
- Check out the active email addresses to see if there is an excess of unnecessary data that could be deleted.
- Review the top-performing blog post articles on your website and update them with new and fresh content.
A Website Maintenance Plan is Never-Ending Process
With new tools being introduced every day to make website development more comfortable, the number of websites keeps rising. Even though making bigger websites with many pages has become simpler, keeping each page in a pristine state is still a daunting task. Moreover, if you ignore the importance of regular maintenance and updates of your website, you’re most likely to get your website prone to severe damages.
As we mentioned above, regular website maintenance is a consistent part of your business, which grows on itself. Therefore, keeping on top of your website maintenance is crucial.
Why is Regular Maintenance Important For Your Website?
Business startups with new websites usually have an excess amount of things to look at and work on. With so many workarounds to deal with, website maintenance, which is an essential task, is often neglected. There are several downsides to that. Here are some reasons why maintaining a healthy and active website is vital for your business.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
The reason why brands and businesses make websites in the first place is to drive more potential customers and audiences. If your website is not regularly updated with fresh content, you’re most likely to lose your audience. This is because Google aims to rank the websites with the most relevant and up-to-date content in its search results. What’s worse is that if the content on your website is not updated in a long while, there’s a risk that Google might de-index your website completely.
Therefore, to strengthen Your SEO and drive more traffic to your website, it is essential to regularly update your website with fresh content, keywords, and news.
Retaining Customer Attraction
Customer retention is as necessary as driving traffic to your website. If the existing audience on your website can’t find what they’re looking for, i.e., current information and news, there’s a high chance that they will wander other websites to meet their needs.
Therefore to retain their attraction towards your website, you should get your website content free from typos, grammatical errors and update the content regularly with the latest information.
Security From Cyber Attacks And Malware
Perhaps the security from malware and cyber-attacks is the most significant reason why regular website maintenance should be your priority. If your website is prone to security threats, you’re putting your website at risk and the valuable customer data that could be used for unethical purposes.
Especially the websites built on platforms like WordPress are at a higher risk of security threats. It is quite essential to update WordPress plugins regularly as they are the biggest reason why WordPress sites attract hackers.
As mentioned above, hundreds of websites are being taken down every day by Google because of malware infection, and you surely do not want yours to be one of them. Therefore, it is vital to maintain and update your website regularly to keep it from security threats.
Corporate Image of Your Brand
Since creating websites with well-designed structures and UI has become simpler than ever, people’s expectations for professional websites from professional brands have increased. If your website can’t deliver a look of professionalism, you’re driving your potential customers away technically. Plus, nobody likes a website full of bugs, errors, and slow loading times.
In contrast, if your website pages load faster and are of bugs and errors, then there’s a high chance of you retaining most of your potential customers and attracting more audience. Therefore, the regular maintenance of a website has a significant impact on your corporate image.
Keeping Up With The Latest Design And Technology Trends
If you’re maintaining your website regularly, then there’s a high chance of you being an early adopter of the latest website technology trends. These trends could help your website’s back-end run smoother. Also, by regularly updating the software, you can avail of the latest features with the updates.
On the other hand, you tweak your website design to make it look sleek. The better design your website has, the more chances you can convince the audience that you should be their ultimate choice.
Your Peace of Mind
Website maintenance could become a matter of success or disaster for your business. A website running behind its maintenance needs can badly damage your reputation as a brand or, worst of all, cost you a lot of money to bring it back on track.
In contrast, an up-to-date website that functions well without bugs and errors could be a valuable asset. It will repay you with higher ROI and peace of mind.
How Much Will Website Maintenance Cost You?
Website maintenance cost drives by primary factors like how big the audience is, the size of the content on the website, and what the website’s purpose is. The different price brackets of website maintenance costs are below.
Smaller Websites / Personal Blogs
Maintenance for such websites can cost you as cheap as somewhere between $5 – $30 monthly. Smaller websites, like personal blogs and hobbies, do not require heavy maintenance needs. These websites usually have lower traffic, and even the very basic maintenance plans will work fine. These types of websites are under the administration of self-hosts. Maintenance for such websites can cost you as cheap as somewhere between $5 – $30 monthly.
Medium-Large Blog / Active Blog with a Wider Audience
Maintenance of medium or large blogs with an active audience will cost you around $60 – $400 per month. Medium or larger blogs are typically a step up from smaller blog websites. Even though these websites have very little functionality, they have a higher number of content pages and a wider audience. Security on such websites is a more significant concern, and they require frequent updates and maintenance. Also, these websites should have regular backup cycles. Maintenance of medium or large blogs with an active audience will cost you around $60 – $400 per month.
Company Website For Marketing Only
Maintenance services for such websites can cost you around $40 – $300 per month. Like the medium or large blogging sites, these websites have very little functionality and usually are not built for performance. The content on such websites is also minimal. The typical reasons why these websites are used are pay-per-click campaigns or for brands to say that they have a website.
E-Commerce Websites Without Customizations
Maintenance services of such websites would cost you around $100 – $400 per month. Now, these websites are a step up from basic websites. In simple words, these are the websites for businesses that make some e-commerce sales. Even though these websites aren’t for higher performance and cannot support a massive increase in traffic, they require constant product updates and reviews.
Customized E-Commerce Websites
The maintenance services of customized E-commerce websites would cost you around $150 – $1500+ per month. Unlike E-commerce websites with no customizations, these websites are for businesses making a large number of online sales. These websites provide higher performance at the users’ end. Unlike the other examples mentioned above, these websites usually have a top-tier hosting service and advanced website security, including an SSL certificate.
Custom Built Web Applications
The maintenance services for custom-built web applications may cost around $300 – $2000+ per month. Out of all the types above, this one is the costliest to maintain because these are websites live for specific purposes. These websites could range from being a big research website to a mainstream review and rating website. These websites have tons of content to display, and they require top-notch security.
Advantages of Outsourcing Website Maintenance Services
Now that you know how much website maintenance services would cost you, you might think you should do it yourself. Even though you can take on these tasks yourself, this process is time-consuming and requires professional expertise. Here are some advantages to outsourcing your website maintenance services.
- As mentioned above, the maintenance services of a website require professional expertise. Hiring an agency means that skilled professionals will work on your websites.
- Since the professionals will be responsible for your website’s maintenance, you can utilize your time to work on the business.
- The maintenance package you select will be according to the needs of your website. You will only pay for the services that you avail of, making it a cost-friendly option.
How To Determine If You Should Buy Website Maintenance Packages
To determine if you need to purchase a website maintenance package, you should focus on these key elements.
- Website’s complexity or size
- Website’s aim
- Rate of customized content
- Business’s scalability and growth potential
- The expertise of business owner in website maintenance
- Relevance with competitors
- Spare time to spent on maintenance
Your website is an online companionship of your business. Therefore, it should help you thrive in your industry. You should spend your time and efforts to maintain it. If you lack the expertise required for your website’s needs, you should consider hiring an agency for the maintenance and updates of your website.
We Can Handle Your Website’s Maintenance
Cydomedia offers budget-friendly packages of full-flash maintenance services for your website. Our flexible packages provide both short-term and long-term service packages based on your needs. So if you’re willing to avail of exceptional website maintenance services, then contact us right away.